Monday, April 27, 2009

Ducklings

Well now there are ducklings. I come into work last Thursday and am told I should be a proud mom. Turns out the nest that I couldn't get to had fertilized eggs in it and they hatched. There are now numerous ducks running around. Two almost adult ducks that I call teenage ducks. And 8 baby Mascovy ducklings. Used to be 11 but over the weekend nature got to them. IE nature being: the hawk, turtles, other ducks, car, cat, dog or the numerous brats running around the pond not being controlled by their parents.

That reminds me of the things that get on my nerves the most. People who can't be bothered to throw their trash away even though there is a trashcan less that 10 feet from them and instead are so inclined to throw it on the ground. People who throw trash out of their cars while they are driving. And people who let their children run around unsupervised with no regard for those around them, won't discipline their kids when they are doing something they shouldn't, get upset when someone tells their kids to stop doing something they shouldn't. URGGG I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!!

Back to the ducklings. Since the General Sam Houston Folk Life Festival is in 4 days, that means in 4 days there will 5,000+ students running, literally running around the grounds with their teachers/chaperons. So there basically is a small chance that the ducklings are going to make it through the weekend. Sad but true. Then today while picking up trash and cleaning around the grotto I found another nest, didn't know was there with 8 eggs. Had to pick them up because it would be better than her hatching them and having to watched them get picked off one by one. It hurts because the ducklings are so cute but you know what could and with a very significant chance hurt them.

Right now there are 9 geese eggs on the nest. Finally found a goose sitting on them. It was the one that the other geese wouldn't let hang out with them. So there is no telling if her eggs are fertile, if she is just laying them or if she was bullied into sitting on them. There really is no telling. But for right now the eggs are just going to stay where they are.

Back to the Folk Fest. Not sure how it will go this year since I will be working the other end of it. Basically all should be fine as long as I am just doing Museum stuff on the clock and as soon as I start to do Webb stuff I get off the clock. I don't mind working this weekend but some other social things have come up so I might not do it.

I received another duty as assigned last week officially. Wood to Kitchen hauler. LOL Its not that bad just got to take a bunch of trips cause I can only carry so much. But by the time you take into account picking up the wheelbarrow from the barn and taking to the Kitchen and back it is basically the same distance as just making the small trips.

I just did big trash in the creek and cleaning out the grotto instead of the big stuff. A. it was getting hot and humid outside. B. what is the point if in a few days it will be covered in trash. C. the Gulf Coast boys can do it during the weekend. D. I really didn't feel like picking up the little trash and glass today, even though it would have been a good day since the creek is low and the water isn't flowing.

Right now I am basically doing nothing. Can't really think of anything exciting that has happened. Oh wait I just remembered. But I'll save that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment