Thursday, February 11, 2010

The last couple of Mondays

Oh boy, it's been forever since I actually worked on a Monday. The past four Mondays I was paid to work but this week was the first Monday that I was actually in the office doing office/ tour/ pre-tour-set-up things. It felt very strange, and made for a very bad case of the MONDAYS.

The first Monday I'm talking about was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Since it was a Holiday and I'm salary I got Holiday pay. So that was nice especially since I had to work the Saturday before.

Then the next Monday was the TAMEC Workshop at the Bob Bullock Museum in Austin that Mike, Helen and I drove up for. That was a long day 3 hours there and back and I wasn't even the one who drove!

Last Monday was the SETMA Winter Conference in Houston at the National Buffalo Soldiers Museum. It was a really neat speaker they had. Talking about intertwining technology and museums, getting your museum on facebook, twitter and other social networks. Very informative. I think I liked it the best because I got to drive the 12 passenger van down there. I love driving talk vehicles, I feel more powerful and safer in them. Plus they are just fun to drive :) For lunch Casey found a dinner that was featured in 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' of Food Network right down the street from the Museum. The burgers were amazing. I'm going to have to ask my mom if she ever ate at Lankford's Grocery while she lived in Houston. We got there a bit after 1 and had the talk not run late we probably would have had to stand in line to wait to get a table. Plus the field trip was fun.

On the way back we talked about how we should make that an everyday thing... well more like once a month or even once every two months. Rent a van from the university, drive to a museum, get a chance to look around, see how it's laid out, get ideas, share ideas, and the staff can have an outing together. Think we might talk about that more for the summer months since starting next week, we are booked SOLID with school tours until the end of May.

Back on track with the Monday topic. That meant that when this Monday rolled around. It was really hard, REALLY HARD to get back into the swing of things with work. It wasn't just that the weather was overcast and it was the day right after Super Bowl. It was that we hadn't been in the office on a Monday since JANUARY 11th!

Maybe next Monday will be a little bit easier. We'll have to wait and see since I'm working this Saturday too... There could be people coming in or their couldn't. The weather is predicted to be partly cloudy, that could bring people outside or it could make them want to stay in doors. I know I had trouble getting out of bed this morning with a 100% chance of precipitation, that has basically held true for most of the day.

P.S. I can never remember if days of the week are capitalized or not so I am just going to capitalize them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment