Tuesday, March 24, 2009

2 weeks off really take it out of you

Last Friday was the first day in the kitchen for me doing the Standard Tour with the Hearth Cooking Demonstration. It could of gone worse. I basically remember all that I needed to say and got most of it said, not in the greatest order or flow but it was said. The only fall back was the fire was ridiculous. The wood wasn't burning right or making good coals. It was also the first time I made the fire myself so I wasn't to make sure the sucker would light. It did eventually. Probably would have helped if I brought out un moist newspaper that hadn't been sitting in the humidity like the ones I used that had been sitting in the closet.

Basically what ended up happening was I didn't have enough hot coals to pop the popcorn the first time. The steam of heat didn't rise out when I moved the lid the first time and the first batch didn't pop at all. Like I had to throw it all out. And to top it all off. I grabbed the lid without a hotpad. Luckily I didn't burn my hand but still was like seriously brain what are you thinking here! So between the first and second group I ran inside and popped another bag of popcorn and the second batch worked a bit better. Giving everyone a little bit of seconds. Come to find out today that the reason the wood didn't catch as well as it should have was most likely because it was recently split firewood and hadn't had a chance to breathe. Which looking back makes sense. Let that be a learning lesson for all of you.

After that was over I went on Duck duty. Not only did I find about 4 regular duck eggs and 4-5 muscovy duck eggs. I found the geese nest. 10 eggs in it. Not realizing that I probably shouldn't of picked them until after I started I went ahead and finished because I realized that I hadn't been given the policy on geese eggs. Found Peter who said that it would be nice to have little geese and asked what I was going to do. I said I was going to call Sandy. He also said he didn't know that they were laying, neither did I. Now back tracking geese eggs are larger than regular duck or chicken eggs. By about 2 times as big. I call Sandy and she says she is going to call her friend Ushi who has a farm and just had a gosling hatch the other day. (Side note: I found an old lunch bag that I now use to put the eggs in when I find them. That way people don't know what I am picking up and it keeps them safe while I am walking around looking for more.)

Sandy calls me back saying that Ushi would love to have them and her husband is going to pick them up. So I get them ready for her and drop them off upstairs and they are now going to be hatched and taken care of instead of having to worry about the college students and kids hurting the goslings or messing with the eggs. I called John for the other eggs but no luck.

Either way I felt so good about finding those eggs. Like I had made a discovery that no one else had done. It was amazing. Started my vacation off to being better than ever.

Yesterday was great just relaxed. Cleaning the creek and looked for more eggs, ran some brochures over to the Statue Visitor Center, went to Brookshire Brother's for museum groceries. And that was about it. I did get complimented by Peter about me being one of the greatest new hires in a while, and might even be passing up Mike. Jokingly of course. However, I think that the ducks/geese are now clicking on to what I do out there and I am pretty sure they are getting testy with me and were yelling at me all weekend for taking their babies.

Today during the tour I got SOOO tired and my feet are basically like rubber and hurt. And I was getting hungry and therefore got MAJORLY tongue tied. It is bad taking a 2 week break because you get out of the loop of things and get back in it.

So I was talking about the Woodland Home and describing the rooms. I move to Sam Houston and Margaret's bedroom saying " This was probably one of the busiest rooms in the house" Not realizing how it came out. You see I had done the kitchen tour on Friday and said that the Kitchen was the busiest place on the farm. And it truly was with cooking before dusk and after dawn, making candles, making soap, canning, jarring, preserving, cleaning, bathing, laundry, etc. Luckily though I played off the misspoken phrase with because there was always a baby in the cradle in the center of the room because... there always was a baby in the cradle. I'm pretty sure the kids didn't get it but you can never be too safe. The teachers got it. I explained to them why I misspoke and what I did to correct my mishap. Now to get technical if there was always a baby in the cradle, that would mean that THAT room was one of the BUSIER rooms in the house if you get my meaning... LOL

It was funny or at least I thought that it was funny after I thought about it. And so did the other Historical Interpreters when we talked about how we each thought that the tour went and what good/bad/interesting happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment